Friday, September 01, 2017

Henry Rollins: The One Decision that Changed My Life Forever


I have been at a major turning point in my life this year, and I've been reading very motivational books about how to approach a career and create the reality I want to experience.

Over the summer, I finished "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill, which (despite the title) was almost an esoteric and mystical approach to wealth. I'm now reading "Zen & the Art of Making a Living" by Laurence Boldt and "Care of the Soul" by Thomas Moore. I'm working to unleash my potential and make the most out of this life that I'm experiencing.

Today, I was watching a YouTube video of an entertainer, Tommy D, who I met recently at a business networking meetup. I then saw the video below of one of my adolescent idols of spoken word & music, Henry Rollins, talking about the single most transformative moment in his life. He came to a crucial crossroads & he created his destiny through his choice. I think it's interesting that he wonders what would've happened if he didn't accept the audition for his future band, Black Flag. I think all of us do this sometimes, but ultimately we have to accept the choices we've made, good or bad- and move on to the next choice that life presents us.

Even before watching the video, I have always tried to take this approach to heart. Especially in the last few months, I have kept my focus and been motivate each day to build the foundation for my future life and career. Not just in forming my businesses, but in maintaining my health. I have to give a lot of credit to my fiancé, who is a health guru compared to me. I was always fairly healthy & exercised, but I now eat very healthy and do different kinds of yoga in addition to working out. Each one of these little decisions we make each day forms the content of our experience. We cannot control all aspects of our environment, but we can control how we react to these circumstances.


No comments: