Wednesday, February 26, 2014

"Da Vinci's Challenge" at NY Toy Fair 2014



My last post was a gallery of pics I took while attending the U.S. International Toy Fair at the Javits Center in Manhattan, NYC.

I haven't had a chance to post here recently, since I just had an awesome weekend-long birthday bash! I've also had many good things going on in both my business & personal life that are the culmination of years of patience and persistent effort.

Even though I posted a gallery of pics already, I wanted to now feature what was the highlight of the show, for me.

After a hiatus of several years, the game "Da Vinci's Challenge" made a return to Toy Fair this year! 

The Monkey Buddha Archives:
Official Facebook Page:

"Da Vinci's Challenge" is a visual strategy game, that I created as a graphic design student. One of my senior projects was to create an original board game. I found inspiration in the ancient symbol of interlocking circles, known as 'The Flower of Life'. The historic legacy of the design also made me use a classic theme for the look of the game. I hand-made the original version out of • carved stone pieces • a copper plate I etched for the game board • a stone block for the base • a wood case • & parchment paper for the rules.


Once I decided to use the Flower of Life symbol as the basis for the game board, the idea for the game play & rules came quickly to me.

There are 2 types of pieces, an oval & a triangle. Each player chooses their color & takes turns using their pieces to create 9 different patterns, or "Secret Symbols". The patterns are worth different point values, depending on their complexity. The player who scores the most points by the end of the game wins!

The game play is easy enough for children to learn, but there are strategic elements that add to the depth & challenge for advanced players. You can block your opponent's patterns, & also create multiple patterns by placing a single piece. At the end of the game, the pieces covering the game board form a unique design every time. You can look at the finished board & see all the patterns that have made throughout the game.

These are just some of the features that make "Da Vinci's Challenge" so unique.

The publisher decided to produce a new run of the game this year, with several major improvements. The new edition is planned to have a molded plastic game board with slots for the pieces, and also cups to store the pieces. I have personally updated the package design & the graphics for a more polished look. These are all things that were sorely lacking in the first printing, and make a world of difference in the gaming experience.

"Da Vinci's Challenge" is a creation that I believe is truly timeless. I hope that this gets to market again & reaches many people- to give them enjoyment, inspiration, and perhaps insight into the mysteries of sacred geometry & other esoteric wisdom.

Here are some of the pictures featuring "Da Vinci's Challenge" at the Toy Fair booth for Briarpatch, Inc. I got a few photos with my creation, with the updated graphics & components.Check out my Toy Fair photo album for more pics:



 Me, Paul Mic, standing by the display for the new edition of 
"Da Vinci's Challenge", at the Briarpatch booth.


The updated components for the new edition of 
"Da Vinci's Challenge", at the Briarpatch booth.

  
 Me, Paul Micarelli, with the updated box for the new edition of
"Da Vinci's Challenge", at the Briarpatch booth.


 The updated box & components for the new edition of 
"Da Vinci's Challenge", at the Briarpatch booth.



The updated components for the new edition of 
"Da Vinci's Challenge", at the Briarpatch booth.



No comments: