Monday, May 20, 2013

Photo Retouching Before Computers

 


On Gizmodo, I saw this link to this nostalgic bit of art history.  There were scans from an old book about the art of photo retouching.

Check out more scans at CreativePro.com:


Before imaging software, namely Adobe Photoshop, the process of manipulating photos was a much more physical art form.



When I was in college, waaaaaaay back at the turn of the millenium, I think the computer labs had Apple G3 machines running Photoshop 4.0.

That was before the Internet was as ubiquitous as it is now, & the power of Photoshop was just beginning to open up the creative potential that exists today. It was still a transitional period, so I learned traditional design techniques along with the graphics software.

 As a professional designer, I find that being aware of old-school tools & processes can sometimes inform or inspire solutions to contemporary problems.

See also:
The Monkey Buddha Archives: 

 

No comments: