Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Too Close to a Lightsaber?

Recently, I posted about the feasibility of creating a weapon similar to a Star Wars lightsaber.

Around the same time, my brother-in-law sent me a link to a company that is producing high-powered portable blue lasers that can burn through many common materials.

A couple weekends ago, we were sitting by a bonfire one night seriously considering buying one of these lasers to start campfires & just burn all kinds of crap.



To give the devices even more geek appeal, the casing of the laser resembles the hilt of a lightsaber. Coincidence, right?

George Lucas's lawyers don't think so, & are making copyright claims on the casing design. I saw this CNN article in which Lucasfilms claims Wicked Lasers has copied the iconic look of the Jedi weapon and has issued a cease & desist.

CNN:
"'Star Wars' Creator Says
Laser Too Much Like Lightsaber"


Maybe I should get one- before The Bearded One has them pulled off the market...

No comments: