Sunday, May 30, 2010

Video Games & Dreams

I saw this interesting article on Livescience.com that explores the link between the virtual experiences of video games & dreaming.


It makes sense that people who immerse themselves in simulated game worlds would also be more active in the mental simulation of dreams.

I've talked about some of my dreams before, but there are many times that I barely remember what I was dreaming about once I wake up. Only the occasional dream really sticks in my memory.

Nightmares or a sense of fear are almost non-existent in my dream world. When I was younger I used to dream of falling from the second floor of my house, but never monsters or crazy stuff like that. The worse dream I'll have now is maybe an awkward social situation or forgetting a locker combination.

On the other hand, I also never have dreams of crazy fantasy worlds or really out-of-the-ordinary things. The wildest thing I can remember is the ability to fly through the atmosphere. Most dreams I'm interacting normally with other people or trying to get from place to place.

If dreams were really influenced by video games, I'd have dreams about fending off alien invasions, carrying out missions as Vader's secret apprentice, or fighting demonic knights & samurais!


The Master of the Dream-world

No comments: