Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Left Hand


I read that today is Left-Handed Day.
Woo-hoo!

Although I grew up writing & drawing with my left hand, when I went to in college all the computer lab mouse pads are set up on the right side of the computer, so I just adapted to using my right hand.

Now, as a professional, I still always use my right hand for the computer mouse, but write & draw w/ the left. So I've evolved into ambidexterousity.

When I heard about this funny holiday, I immediately thought of 2 diametrically opposed principles...

On the one hand I was reminded of Ned Flanders's wacky store of left-handed products.

On the other hand, I've also always been curious about the reasons for the sinister connotation of the left hand. I always felt that being left-handed was unique in a cool way.

A Danzig song I used to rock out to in high school, Left Hand Black, embodies that darker side of the coin:

No comments: