Monday, July 16, 2007

Joseph Longo's Plasma Incinerator


After I had posted about the possible energy revolution that's coming, I remembered a technology I read in Popular Science during my lunch break. As I read the article, I was blown away by the simplicity of the concept and the functionality of the design.

The invention is an incinerator that uses super-hot plasma to basically burn everything except nuclear waste down to individual molecules. I don't care how much it costs, there should be local and federal initiatives to mass produce these machines. This is the best investment any government can make.

"A Startech machine that costs roughly $250 million could handle 2,000 tons of waste daily, approximately what a city of a million people amasses in that time span...

..a $250-million converter could pay for itself in about 10 years, and that’s without factoring in the money made from selling the excess electricity and syngas. After that break-even point, it’s pure profit."


The article is great, and all the benefits of this device are just mind-blowing. The above example is just one of many reasons for investing in this technology.